[geeks] personal mail handling

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Mon Jan 21 21:29:33 CST 2002

On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 19:17, Big Endian wrote:
> I know many of you use IMAP for email access.  I'm considering moving
> to a more centralized system here and I'm wondering why IMAP works
> for you and how you have your system setup otherwise.  Do you have
> multiple workstations and (a) central server(s) for mail/files/etc or
> do you have a central workstation that you keep everything on or
> something in between?  I'm starting to feel vulnerable w/ keeping
> everything on the powerbook.  I've been hacking OS X a lot and I've
> killed it more than once.  How do you guys do your workstations?

I run qmail, courier IMAP, and procmail on my mailserver, and just use
my client to view the mail from there.  I screw up my workstation
completely every couple of months (if I'm lucky, otherwise it's every
other weekend), so I don't want the mail at risk there.  qmail and
courier IMAP are very reliable and predictable, plus easy to set up.
Procmail is not even remotely reliable, predictable, or easy to set up.
However, once you've got that it installed, configured, and generally
working, it's quite nice.  Though if I could find another alternative,
I'd be all over it.  There are several nice web IMAP frontends, which
lets you get access remotely, if you're out of town or somesuch.  I find
that to be easier than connecting via ssh, and using mutt, elm, pine, or
the like.  I've never been able to get used to any text-mode mailers,
except for BSD mailx, which doesn't work when I get as much mail as
being on geeks entails.  :-)
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.