[geeks] Plasic casings

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Mon Jan 21 15:20:00 CST 2002

>On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Big Endian wrote:
>>  so what?  I've got a bare SBC that I'm trying to build a case for.
>>  Its likely to be clear, thin (1/4-1/8") plastic.  Also if you've ever
>>  met me in real life I dress kind of "hackish".  (for those of you who
>>  *DO* know me I'm likely to mount this thing on the right shoulder
>>  thingie on my vest).
>
>Oh? You're into wearables? Nifty. I read an article about a guy who had
>several wearable PCs, a 56K DSY modem with a KPC9612 backup, infrared
>communications links inside of the hallways to his office to relay
>position/comm information, etc.

Sounds like fun.  I'm not sure what I'd do w/ it yet.  I like the
idea of wearables but I'm not sure what I'd use mine for yet.  at 2
gigs its a little light on storage but I'm sure that can be easily
fixed.  I would try voice stuff but I'm not sure how hard it would be
to add sound support. I have a spare ISA sb64 but I need a two or
three slot passive ISA backplane and a mount for it.  The trouble
there is it increases the size of the (already large) box that it all
goes in.  Anybody have ideas what *I* can do with it (not sell/give
it to you)?

>At the time a 386 on a PCMCIA looking card cost $5K, IIRC.

Well this is a $500 board that I got for $50.  The rest of it I had
lying about. The board is about the same size as a recent ISA
soundblaster (even has an ISA edge connector to add a passive ISA
backplane).  Also has a PC104 socket on it.

daniel