[geeks] Plasic casings

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Mon Jan 21 14:11:12 CST 2002

>  > >from what I've been told.  Dunno how you'd make a box, but I suppose it
>>  >could be done in pieces and welded together...
>>
>>  I think this is going to be a simple box for the first try at least.
>>

>I recall seeing a plastic welder in the Harbor Freight tool catalog.
>
>hold on.....checking......here it is:
>http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45528
>
>wooo, expensive.

*OUCH* the entire system (333 celleron, SBC w/ onboard everything, 2
gig 2.5" ide hdd) cost me 1/3 of that.  Note I don't have any I/O yet
nor sound.

>I suppose you could go to Wally World and get a cheap non-stick skillet to
>heat the edges of the sheet plastic and stick 'em together.  Use a jig to
>ensure they're lined up right...

Umm... sounds like a pain in the ass to me.

>OR, you could use an epoxy to glue pieces together, using the same jig
>above...

Thats likely what I'll do.

>All of the above might make stuff look very "hacked" though.

so what?  I've got a bare SBC that I'm trying to build a case for.
Its likely to be clear, thin (1/4-1/8") plastic.  Also if you've ever
met me in real life I dress kind of "hackish".  (for those of you who
*DO* know me I'm likely to mount this thing on the right shoulder
thingie on my vest).

daniel