[geeks] Solaris 9, First thoughts

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Jan 19 14:38:26 CST 2002

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 07:16:17AM +1100, Scott Howard wrote:
> OK, Sun needs to be shot for this one, but SMC is NOT Sun Management
> Center/Console.
> SMC is Solaris Management Console, and is included as a part of Solaris.
> SunMC is Sun Management Center, and is an extra.

Okay, maybe this was a typo on my part.  When I said SMC, I meant Solaris
Management Console.  Fixed on the web page.

> In order to the get SVM/Disksuite GUI you need to use SMC, which can be
> accessed by just running "smc".

Gotcha.  Its still too damn slow. 8-)

> That said, you don't actually need to use SMC to use SVM - you can still
> configure it using the files in /etc/lvm, as in Solaris 8.

Or, /usr/sbin/meta*.  Its DiskSuite with a new name..

> Presuming you're the sysadmin, you can relatively easily add new windows
> managers to the list of available WM's at the CDE login screen.  I forget
> the exact details, but all the info you need is just beyond Google...

All the stuff I"ve found entails modifying the existing OpenWindows
entry - which isnt there to begin with in sol9.  Still looking on how to
add a new entry "from scratch".

Bill

--
Bill Bradford