[geeks] Solaris 9, First thoughts

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Sat Jan 19 14:16:17 CST 2002

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 01:23:28PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> http://www.sunhelp.org/review-sol9ea.php
>
> Let me know what you think...

> - DiskSuite (aka "Solaris Volume Manager" is integrated into this release,
>   but apparently you have to install Sun Management Console and the related
>   utilities to get to it and use/configure it.  If anybody knows of an
>   alternative, please let me know.  Also, SMC is slow, *too* slow.  I'm

OK, Sun needs to be shot for this one, but SMC is NOT Sun Management
Center/Console.
SMC is Solaris Management Console, and is included as a part of Solaris.
SunMC is Sun Management Center, and is an extra.

In order to the get SVM/Disksuite GUI you need to use SMC, which can be
accessed by just running "smc".

That said, you don't actually need to use SMC to use SVM - you can still
configure it using the files in /etc/lvm, as in Solaris 8.

> - One thing I havent figured out yet.  With Solaris8, if you wanted to use an
>   alternate window manager, you just had to create an .xinitrc in your home
>   directory, and then pick OpenWindows in the CDE login panel.  This would
>   "catch" your .xinitrc before launching OpenWindows, and use your desired
>   window manager instead.  Now that CDE is the *only* option, what about those
>   of us who prefer a different window manager?  (I prefer WindowMaker).

Presuming you're the sysadmin, you can relatively easily add new windows
managers to the list of available WM's at the CDE login screen.  I forget
the exact details, but all the info you need is just beyond Google...

For anyone trying to setup a Jumpstart server from the Solaris 9EA ISOs,
I've put up some details on how to do this at
http://www.docbert.org/Solaris/Jumpstart/Sol9/Sol9EA-iso.html
Unfortunately it's not as easy as it used to be...

  Scott.