CPLD (was: Re: [geeks] apple ][ hack)

jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sat Jan 19 04:26:59 CST 2002

On 18 Jan, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> BTW, what is a CPLD?
Complex Programmable Logic Device.

> I think they have some relationship to FPGAs
Not Really. The internal organisation of logic elements and connections
is different. A CPLD is somthing like a large GAL / PAL. (Or a set of
GAL blocks with connection matrixes between them.) Further: A CPLD/GAL
uses EEPROM/FLASH cells to be programmed. I.e. it is not run time
reprogrammable and the programming is permanent. A FPGA uses SRAM for
its configuration. So it has to be reprogrammed at every power up.
--

tschuess,
          Jochen

Homepage: http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz