[geeks] Proxies

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri Jan 18 18:31:44 CST 2002

[ On Friday, January 18, 2002 at 19:03:09 (-0500), Ryn wrote: ]
> Subject: [geeks] Proxies
>
> Does anyone use a HTTP proxy on there home network? I am contemplating using the
> squid.

Yup.  Works quite well.  The more clients you have, and the more often
they all visit the same pages, the more effective it can be too.

However I don't bother at the moment.  I don't have a machine with fast
enough disks that I want to run squid on (and in particular the best
machine to do so would be my gateway where I could do fancy NAT tricks
to make all the web queries go out over the cable modem link, leaving
the DSL link over which my main network is routed for everything else).
Since the cable provider has a fairly decent cache of their own I just
point my browsers to it explicitly (and if it misbehaves, or the cable
modem goes down, etc., I simply go back to "direct" and use the DSL line
without caching -- it's generally faster anyway :-).

--
								Greg A. Woods