[geeks] IP telephony

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Fri Jan 18 13:04:08 CST 2002

> They have several models of IP phones and a call manager, which is the
> equivalent of a PBX.  If your company invested in the infrastructure (ie
> drank the koolaide, bought phones and the CM), it is completely feasible to
> take your phone home at the end of the day connect over a broadband link
> back into the call manager, and send and receive calls as if your were at
> your desk.

If you're interested in a PBX, you can try the open source Asterisk PBX
from asteriskpbx.org.  I'm using it here at the office as a voice mail
system and for a link to a telephone system at home...and when I get the
T1 card I've been waiting on, I'm going to tie it into the
Baltimore/Washington Telephone SS7 switch downstairs and do some real fun
with it.