[geeks] IP telephony

Al Potter apotter at icsa.net
Fri Jan 18 11:48:37 CST 2002

Cisco has some really neat stuff in this area, though it is probably NOT
suitable for consumer use.

They have several models of IP phones and a call manager, which is the
equivalent of a PBX.  If your company invested in the infrastructure (ie
drank the koolaide, bought phones and the CM), it is completely feasible to
take your phone home at the end of the day connect over a broadband link
back into the call manager, and send and receive calls as if your were at
your desk.

The preferable way to do this (IMHO) is through a VPN link (preferable
IPSec) between the remote location and the CM.  You can even do it via
802.11b wireless, or purely in software (their product is called SoftPhone).

Yes, I think they (all the IP phone vendors) aim to put the phone company
out of the phone business.  I don't see how the phone company will be able
to detect it is going on, or do anything about it if all of the voice
packets are tunneled through a VPN.

AL