[geeks] OT: cat

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Fri Jan 18 12:45:21 CST 2002

On Fri, 2002-01-18 at 08:02, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On January 18, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>   But actually, it's even worse than that.  Their claws are their
> primary weapon, and when they're gone, the cat KNOWS it.  Ophelia
> knows she's nearly defenseless, and knows she'd lose bigtime in a
> fight...so she's got very little confidence around strange people or
> things, and is very skittish and defensive.

Well, not all cats are blessed with such intelligence.  I cat-sit for a
neighbor (the cat stays home, I go over and feed/entertain it) who's cat
is more aggressive than any other I've met.  Afraid of absolutely
nothing, and sometimes, without warning, will pounce on your leg and
"disembowel" it with his hind claws.  Of my family, I'm the only person
who he hasn't attacked.  Darn nutzoid cat, but he's got nice fur.  Oh,
and he's at least part Siamese, which might explain the crazy...

> > I just use a finger nail clippers to keep the claws short.
>
>   That's the best thing, but you have to be very careful...there's a

I've found that the -best- thing for my cats is not to do anything with
their claws.  If I did, they might not do such a good job keeping the
squirrel population in-check.  They've learned not to scratch on
anything inside the house, although they did scratch away about half of
a 2x4 railing outside.  I'll have to get some pictures of at least my
cat, and maybe the two others in the household, if they'll stand for
it.  :-)
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.