[geeks] IP telephony

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Fri Jan 18 09:32:21 CST 2002

I haven't really been interested, nor have I been following this field for
a while, since I have always had the gut feeling that when this gets good
enough the phone companies will kill it, and currently it isn't good
enough... (am I mistaken?)... Case in point, I have the marketing head
asking me about IP telephony for his house.  He does have cable modem
services, and is looking for a standalone type of device.  Is there a
really good vendor for this market and an existing product I can
recommend?  Most IP telephony I'm familiar with requires a large equipment
outlay, and is suitable for large providers.  (I'm also only vaguely
familiar with said equipment)

Andrew

There are, of course, thousands of people who claim to be sys admins who
have the single "skill" of working it out from a gui tool. Ask these people
to move 500 users accounts or 300 virtual hosts from one machine to another
and they are as useful as chocolate firemen. -- Anonymous Coward on Slashdot
8/15/01

UNIX and cigarettes, both addictive and both contain tar.