[geeks] current reading

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Mon Jan 14 21:29:46 CST 2002

Hmmm, This is a tall order. If there's one thing being semi-unemployed gives
you it's plenty of time to read.

Just finished in the last few weeks

Bill Bryson: All of them. They are very quick reads.
C.S. Lewis: The chronicles of Narnia (re-read, just got a great new omnibus
edition with the original illustrations)
J.K. Rowling: The potter books up til now (saw the movie then re-read the
books, once again, all of them very quick reads)
Martin Scott: The thraxas series (all of them, theyre short)
K.J. Parker: Colours in the steel, Belly of the Bow

Im trying to find the final book in the series "the proof house" but thus
far with no luck. I put it on order in the local booksellers weeks ago but
as usual they are taking forever to get it in. I never thought Id say this
but gods I miss borders. Or Barnes and Noble. Or really any good bookstore.
Ireland generally sucks for bookstores, except for the Easons on Oconnell
street, and Hodgis Figgis (both in city center dublin).

I'm in the middle of

Terry Goodkind: "The Pillars of Creation". I'll prolly re-read the other six
sword of truth books after this. I do that with a few authors.

Am I crazy or does anyone else do this with their favorite authors or
series? Any time the following authors write a new book I buy it, read it,
then go back and re-read all of the previous books in the series, or in the
case of some of the more prolific authors all of the books with those same
characters.

Tom Clancy
Vince Flynn
Lee Child
David Eddings
George R.R. Martin
Terry Goodkind
Dick Francis
Robert Parker
Web Griffin
Mercedes Lackey (only the SERRAted edge and Urban Fantasy series)
Robert Jordan
Laurel K. Hamilton
James Patterson
Jonathan Kellerman

On the list right now

J.R.R. Tolkein: The lord of the Rings (once again saw the movie now re-read
the book)
L. Spraque De Camp: The compleat Enchanter (Harold Shea omnibus)
Ursula K. LeGuin: Earthsea Omnibus (re-reading, on order for three months)
Alan Cole and Chris Bunch: The Sten Series (Re-reading, On order for three
months, out of print but supposedly still available)
Walter Miller: A Canticle for Liebowitz (re-reading, saw it in the shop and
grabbed)

Waiting for publishing in Ireland of

George R.R. Martin: "A feast for crows" The next "Song of Ice and Fire" book
due in fall
Mercedes Lackey: "Spirits white as lightning" the next in the Bedlams Bard
series
Robert Jordan: The next "?$^&??"Y^$_! wheel of time book. God Would he just
finish the  $?%*"%^&^&"?$ things off before he gets colon cancer and dies
Laural K. Hamilton: The next Anita Blake book

Oh and of course I'm always looking for suggestions

Chris Byrne