[geeks] valuation on a sparc 2 / ss10?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Jan 14 12:23:19 CST 2002

On January 14, Big Endian wrote:
> Some people are unemployed by choice (they'd rather do contract work,
> I think dave falls into this category) or they'd rather be doing

  I *sorta* fall into this category.  I did the "startup thing" until
I was so burnt out (and half-killed by sleep apnea) that I could
barely function, first Digex then SkyCache.  Now here I sit, unable to
get up at the same time (or even within the same six-hour block of
time) for two days in a row, hoping to find some decent consulting
work.  I had a choice...either compete for work with all my friends in
MD or try to find it in FL where I have *no* connections at all.

  This sucks, Beavis.

> something else.  I would *MUCH* rather work as a live sound tech
> doing concerts and such.  But I can't do that yet so I work as a
> sysadmin.  I don't get payed well, I get abused sometimes and I am
> generally unappreciated but it pays my bills for now.  If I could get
> a good paying job to do sound work (even recording stuff would be
> fun)  where I live I would be much happier.  Some people have enough

  Ahh, c'mon...running systems is fun!  If anyone gives you shit, hit
them in the face *really* hard.

> bulk of hardware and the connections to get more that they can make a
> living off of that (Mike N) , (I don't know if thats considered
> employment or not).  If I had other means of making a living I would

  It definitely counts as employment..."self-employment".

> *NOT* be a sysadmin and I may end up getting those other means this
> year.  If I do end up there I will try to place someone from the
> lists that wants to work here.

  Cool!  Good luck, man.

    -Dave

--