[geeks] valuation on a sparc 2 / ss10?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Jan 14 12:11:00 CST 2002

On January 14, doctor obnox son of a bitch wrote:
> It really irks me that there are so many clueful people on this list who
> are unemployed, while there are a buttload of MSCE weenies out there
> drawing paychecks.

  Oh, believe me...it irks me even more. :) The thing is, though...many
of those clueless MCSE weenies are working for stupid suits who are
trying to do "internet things" with microsoft crap.  They're going out
of business left & right.  Let 'em burn!

  In 1996 all you had to do was put the word "internet" somewhere in
your business plan to get a ton of VC money.  Now it seems actual
*profits* are required.  What a concept.  Today the buzzword is
"microsoft", but [thankfully] that seems to be fading.  It's good to
see rumblings about "NT to Unix migration" in business rags.

  My biggest and most frustrating problem (aside from creditors hounding
me every day) is that I don't think I can handle a fixed schedule.  It
probably sounds like I'm whining that I don't want to get up in the
morning, but it's really not as simple as that.  I haven't worked a
fixed schedule in well over ten years.  My sleep schedule is so
variable that it's damn near impossible, and all efforts to make it
regular...going back 10-15 years...have failed.  I need to find a
company that doesn't confuse "working" with "being at work", and that
understands that work is still valid even if it occurs in the
suit-taboo hours before 9am or after 5pm.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire