[geeks] valuation on a sparc 2 / ss10?

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Sun Jan 13 18:36:55 CST 2002

On Sunday, January 13, 2002, at 02:05 , Dave McGuire wrote:

> On January 14, Craig Armour wrote:
>> Sun bought the E10k off SGI(Cray) for a rediculously cheap price.  SGI
>> had decided that no one would ever need a box that big and decided
>> their
>> numa systems were the way to go.  They were looking to off load the
>> E10k
>> for only a little bit more than nothing.  bargain
>
>   If memory serves, what they bought was the CS6400 and all the
> research that brought it into being.  The E10K was designed after that
> as a follow-on.

Not quite - The E10K was well-along before Sun got the group.
Starcat..er.. the Sun Fire(tm) 15K is more Sun.  (Remember, design of
the next system starts even before the previous is released, the lead
time is pretty long.  Plus, (I just learned more about this) the
regulatory testing can take some time.  (This is why the E10K used the
U5 instead of it and the U10 for SSP's - they would have had to repeat
the *entire* test sequence for the U10, even though it is the same mobo,
just a different case.

-Pete