[geeks] valuation on a sparc 2 / ss10?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Jan 13 16:05:35 CST 2002

On January 14, Craig Armour wrote:
> Sun bought the E10k off SGI(Cray) for a rediculously cheap price.  SGI
> had decided that no one would ever need a box that big and decided their
> numa systems were the way to go.  They were looking to off load the E10k
> for only a little bit more than nothing.  bargain

  If memory serves, what they bought was the CS6400 and all the
research that brought it into being.  The E10K was designed after that
as a follow-on.

> I'm not sure why you guys would even look at U2's etc when for a measily $1000 you can
>
> get a sunblade 100 at 500mhz.  I'd rather one of those suckers.  and for
> the rack mount fiends... x1's *shrug*

  The X1 is a really nice box, yes...but no SCSI, no SMP, and no slots.
Those are three very good reasons to buy an Ultra2.  A blade100 is
irrelevant if we're talking about using it as a server.

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire