[geeks] valuation on a sparc 2 / ss10?

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Sun Jan 13 14:28:16 CST 2002

On Sunday, January 13, 2002, at 12:15 , s at avoidant.org wrote:

> Thankee. So that puts it >$1000 for a U60 w/2 procs and 2 UPA cards. I
> think my SS20's going to be around for a while. S'alright by me.

Like I said, I like the SS20.  Having said that, I have a dual-head U60,
I would imagine that you are about dead-on in the price range.  With 1G
RAM, 2x9G 10K drives, 2x300MHz, and 2x C3D I would ask around $1200,
sans tube. (I might be a little high, even, but I do a good deal of
testing on my systems, having the resources to do so. <g>)

> Yeah, I work from home a lot, and when my wife is out I'd rather be
> upstairs where the kids are than in the basement where the computers
> are. An iBook with an Airport card and an access point would solve that
> problem nicely. Now I just have to scrounge the money.

I like mine - I have the first-gen (1.5-gen?) iBook SE/366, with 320M.
OS X runs fine, (I'm using it right now), and the wireless can't be
beat.  I actually prefer the "toilet seat" design, so I'll keep mine
unless I can find a 466SE to replace it. (Firewire would be nice.)

-Pete