[geeks] McRib power!

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Sat Jan 12 11:48:34 CST 2002

> > Is a CPAP machine the one that people with sleep apnea use?
>
> Yep.  I've been on CPAP since around February of last year (wow,
> its been a year already?)
>
> Apparently I've had sleep apnea all my life, but it only got
> worse (life-threatening; I was falling asleep ALL THE TIME)
> in the past three years or so.  Went to a doctor, sent me to a
> sleep study, and they said "yep, you've got apnea".  Put me
> on CPAP, and life improved 1000%.

My brother had sleep apnea and used some machine to help him
breath at night, so I guess that was a CPAP machine.  The
machine didn't work, so he had to get surgery, which did help
although he complained about having the mother of all sore
throats for about a week.

Now my wife is concerned I might have sleep apnea since she's
woken up at night and I wasn't breathing.  She said she either
shakes me and I start breathing, or after a couple of minutes
I'll make a loud snort and start breathing on my own.  I am
tired during the day, and find I sleep better sitting up.  I
also snore a lot (I just took a look at www.sleepapnea.org and
checked the symptoms).  Another symptom listed is high blood
pressure.  In the past year my blood pressure has gone up and
I've had several tests that so far don't show any cause.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net