[geeks] home equipment inventories

s at avoidant.org s at avoidant.org
Thu Jan 10 12:02:40 CST 2002

kurt at k-huhn.com wrote:

> Really?  That's odd.  I have several CDs that I bought at a second-hand
> music store in Bristol, RI.while in college about 12 yrs ago.  They all play

You're right, it is odd. I thought it might have been sunlight or
something, but they weren't exposed. Packed in a cardboard box for a few
years is all.

> > Also, cat pee will rapidly degrade CDs.
>
> That sounds like the voice of experience :)

Sad but true. Apparently the cat pee gets *inside* the cd and degrades
the layer of silver foil. The plastic looks undamaged, but if you hold
the CD up to the light you can see right through it.

---sambo