[geeks] Email experts?

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Wed Jan 9 11:04:48 CST 2002

>'K, so the relay acepts mail from the others and passes it along...

Simple enough... BUT there are complications... the app servers
connect directly to the relay.  The relay has to release the session
before the message is delivered or it kills the response of the app
server.

>So what if the incoming mail were handed to procmail, which then puts it
>in seperate queues based on recipient, which seperate queues are
>processed seperately? That way mail in the "send immediately" queue
>isn't held up by stuff waiting to go to the .gov servers.

unfortunately this doesn't work because procmail doesn't keep the
message in the MTA's format.  What I'm having to do is write
something else that will do the same job, but move messages between
queues depending on if the message is "expedited" and the domain its
bound for (ie mail.senate.gov is a festering piece of shit and we can
only send that queue once every 6 hours, but the whitehouse mail
server is nice and zippy).

>I haven't done anything like this, but it doesn't really seem all that
>difficult. Not sure of your timeframe, but if it can wait a bit, I'll
>see what I can come up with.

You'd be QUITE amazed at how hard it really is.  It can wait as long
as it needs to, I just have orders from $CEO to make it work but I
don't have a time frame.

daniel