[geeks] emacs 21

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Jan 9 10:55:55 CST 2002

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 11:51:52AM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > I've "tried" it.   My problem is, I've got the VI key sequences so ingrained
> > into my head that its IMPOSSIBLE for me to use anything *but* VI/vim/etc.
> that's why emacs has come with a very good vi emulator for many years now....
> Just type M-x vi-mode <CR> and away you go (some things are necessarily
> different, and the ex (':') commands are not implemented (though typing
> a ':' brings up a little help window with some common translations).
> Obviously you can have it jump into vi-mode automatically too.

... but why run emacs, to emulate vi, when I already have vi?

(no, I'm not starting a flame war; I'm trying to think of a reason why I
 should use emacs-with-vi mode instead of just vi/vim).

At one of my previous jobs, I was the ONLY vi user; everyone else was
emacs... I actually had to ask once, "okay, how do I save and exit?" 8-0

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net