[geeks] emacs 21

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Jan 9 02:42:50 CST 2002

[ On , January 8, 2002 at 23:54:28 (-0800), Gregory Leblanc wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] emacs 21
>
> (global-set-key [home] 'beginning-of-buffer) (global-set-key [end] 'end-of-buffer)
>
> Mind you, the blinky cursor doesn't bug me, but it drove a friend nuts,

Not having a blinking cursor drives me nuts.  If it doesn't blink then I
can never find it fast enough, especially on a big monochrome screen.

You have a cursor explicitly so that you have a very visible and easy to
see indication of where you're at on the screen.  You WANT it to draw
your eye towards it when you've got nothing else more important to look
at.

The only problem with blinking is that on X11 at least there's no easy
way to do it and so you have to do it with a lot of extra network I/O.
I can only imagine the damage it would do to an older 10baseT network
with a lot of X Terminals on them (just as bad as everyone running an
xclock with the second hand moving every second!  ;-)

> so I found out how to turn it off.  I hate how they broke the home/end
> keys though...

I kind of like them the way I've got them, and so far as I know this is
the default:

<M-end>		end-of-buffer-other-window
<C-end>		end-of-buffer
<end>		end-of-line
<M-home>	beginning-of-buffer-other-window
<C-home>	beginning-of-buffer
<home>		beginning-of-line

--
								Greg A. Woods