[geeks] Linux on Ultrasparc

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 8 13:17:27 CST 2002

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 09:35:08AM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 11:42:23AM +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
> > Parts of the package management system are written in perl, and so just
> > like with a commercial OS like Solaris, replacing the vendor-supplied perl
> > without regard to package dependencies is a Bad Idea.
> Grr, they should have used a copy of perl in an unusual file location instead
> of forcing us to stick with their perl then.

Errm?  Sure, Debian's perl is in /usr/bin but if you go to compile your
own version, it defaults to /usr/local/bin, which is before /usr/bin in
my $PATH.  All the package management stuff specifically uses /usr/bin/perl
so no conflict.

Us Germans take our humour very seriously
  -- German cultural attache talking to the Today Programme,
     about the German supposed lack of a sense of humour, 29 Aug 2001