[geeks] Linux on Ultrasparc

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 8 05:42:23 CST 2002

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 02:06:52AM -0500, James Sharp wrote:
> I'm pulling down the ISOs for Debian & SuSe right now.  I got kinda
> attached to Debian's apt-get...but I broke that in horribly squishy ways
> when I upgraded the machine's perl from 5.005 to 5.6.1...but I'm sure
> (hope?) that's fixed in the newer versions.

Parts of the package management system are written in perl, and so just
like with a commercial OS like Solaris, replacing the vendor-supplied perl
without regard to package dependencies is a Bad Idea.

My Debian boxes have 5.005 on them - as supplied by Debian - and 5.6.1
which I compiled from sources myself and installed in /usr/local.

 hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H. L. Mencken