[geeks] relocating to NYC - pointers?

Luke Boyett geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 7 15:27:17 CST 2002

> I have heard in the past that getting an apartment in
> NYC was difficult and expensive. During that time
> (which was a few years ago) the prices were high and
> the sq footage was small. Parking was next to impossible
> if you owned a car. Without a car you need to carry
> your groceries on board public transportation and
> walk from the bus stops/metro to your residence in
> rain, snow, cold weather, etc.

The decision as to moving is practically already made (family
reasons).  I appreciate the perspective, and having spent time
visiting in large cities (and a couple months in Osaka), I can
certainly understand, and to a degree dread some of the troubles of
big city life.  What I'm looking for, really, is suggestions on
job-hunting especially.  It cursorily appears that the job market is
fine in NYC for what I do (comparatively anyway).  But actually
getting the job and apartment seems to be the difficult steps.  A
lot of the apartments I've seen require proof of employment and
40+ * the monthly rent in income.  But then I'm in the quandary of
finding somewhere to stay when I go up for the final job-hunt push
(which I imagine can take as long as a month or two).  It just seems
so cost and convenience prohibitive, that I want to find whatever
resources, contacts, shortcuts, etc that I can to ease the move and
job transition.

--
PGP Key ID = DEC7301B