[geeks] relocating to NYC - pointers?

William S. geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 7 12:48:58 CST 2002

I have heard in the past that getting an apartment in
NYC was difficult and expensive. During that time
(which was a few years ago) the prices were high and
the sq footage was small. Parking was next to impossible
if you owned a car. Without a car you need to carry
your groceries on board public transportation and
walk from the bus stops/metro to your residence in
rain, snow, cold weather, etc.

I now live in an overcrowded city and have experienced
what I have described first hand. Formerly, I had a
home with a nice big driveway and a comfy luxury
car to haul me out and about. I am thinking now of moving
to a smaller community outside the central city area
where I can own a car again and park it easily. I am too
old (46) to be waiting at bus stops and cramming into
public transport.

Sorry if this seems grumpy. I am glad I had made the choice
but see now that it does not suit me.

The good points: You are close to cultural events and
resources: Theater, museums, "happenings", and places
seem to be open round-the-clock if you are a night-owl.

Bill
Amsterdam, NL