[geeks] Macs

Peter L. Wargo geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Jan 6 16:11:56 CST 2002

On Sunday, January 6, 2002, at 05:04 , Jon Still wrote:

> I've gotta admit I love OS X.  My Christmas present to myself was a
> shiny new iBook 600 and I've not looked back.  I'm currently enthusing
> about Stickies - I love the ability to just select text and press
> Apple-Shift-Y to create a sticky note from it.  Add to that the

<Puts on his "Professor Mac" hat>

Just to make you sound more "Mac-wise", the key with the weird
cloverleaf symbol (as well as the apple symbol) is referred to as the
"Command" key.

<Takes off "Professor Mac" hat>

Cool, I never knew that.  Doesn't seem to work while I'm editing in
mail.  I too, am enjoying the cool goodies in OS X.

> fact that I got it to print to my "unsupported" Laserjet 1100 via LPD
> on my Linux box (a bit of tinkering in Netinfo combined with
> ghostscript) and I'm a happy bunny :)

Nifty.

> My only real concern I had before buying it was whether I would be able
> to use it as a serial terminal, which if I ever did any contracting
> would be something I would likely need to do.  However after my fiance
> very generously donated her Keyspan PDA adaptor, this was no trouble at
> all :)

So OS X recognized it with no trouble?  Cool, as I have been wanting to
do something similar with my iBook SE.  Do you use tip, or a MacOS
program?

> Incidentally, we put together a little page on using macs (especially
> old macs) as serial terminals at
> http://www.tertial.org/projects/mac-console/  Can't beat a nice clacky
> Mac Plus keyboard :)

Which is why I have one (A Plus), as well as a few others. :-)  (I
literally wore my 512Ke out many years back...)  Nice site, I now feel
like digging out my plus and getting to work... :-)

-Pete