[geeks] Macs

Alice Conrad geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Jan 6 10:38:30 CST 2002

On Sunday, January 6, 2002, at 01:04 PM, Jon Still wrote:

> I've gotta admit I love OS X.  My Christmas present to myself was a
> shiny new iBook 600 and I've not looked back.  I'm currently enthusing
> about Stickies - I love the ability to just select text and press
> Apple-Shift-Y to create a sticky note from it.  Add to that the fact
> that I got it to print to my "unsupported" Laserjet 1100 via LPD on my
> Linux box (a bit of tinkering in Netinfo combined with ghostscript) and
> I'm a happy bunny :)

I rather like the whole "services" menu.  I have yet to try the
"JavaBrowser" option.
I am just still overwhelmed at all the little things hidden away, like
the make sticky and such, and I have had OS X since April last. The
other nifty this is the fact that it didn't need any coaxing, swearing,
threats or sacrificial chickens to get it to talk to my printer, camera,
usb zip drive, usb imation superdisk drive. Granted I haven't tried to
show it to the scanner or the cd burner yet.

> Incidentally, we put together a little page on using macs (especially
> old macs) as serial terminals at
> http://www.tertial.org/projects/mac-console/  Can't beat a nice clacky
> Mac Plus keyboard :)

You think that is fun you should try SuperPaint in glorious 1-bit colour
on the MacPlus.

alice