[geeks] computer room gallery 8-)

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Jan 6 10:38:47 CST 2002

Kurt Huhn wrote:

> It is absolutely imperative that you follow the installation directions to
> the letter.  No deviation.  None.  Otherwise, it *will* break.

Oh, I did. Even used the ratcheting cords to pull it together. It was
gorgeous for the first month. See below. I'll point out exactly where
you hit the nail on the head...

> Also - no
> mopping.  Ever.  Never.  It is, after all, fiberboard with a laminate.  It
> *will* break.

Right there. That's the problem. No matter how many times I told my wife
"No Mopping", she can't help herself. It gets mopped at least twice a
week. She figures it's gotta get clean...

This is the same woman who, while cleaning the kitchen hall floor,
pulled off the threshhold piece to see what was under the subfloor, and
then went an got a hammer and started pulling up the plywood to see what
was under that. Turns out it's the same 3-inch oak as the rest of the
first floor. So I pulled it all up and it'll be finished soon.

Problem with it, and also the dining room under the pergo (and the
reason I put the pergo down in the first place), and one of the bedrooms
upstairs, is that at some point someone had stuck vinyl/asbestos/cork
tile directly onto the hardwood with tarpaper, which was probably meant
to protect the floor, but it stuck really well. I found when we pulled
up the kitchen hall florr, though, that Lysol takes the tarpaper off
pretty well. SO all the hardwood will be refinished in the spring/
summer.

In the meantime, she still thinks the pergo looks alright. I can't wait
to pull it up. I've got the same 20-yr warranty, but I'm just gonna
chuck it.

I want the oak instead. Might even see what's underneath the kitchen
floor...

> I think the sum of your problem is/was the mopping.  That's a big no-no when
> it comes to laminate flooring.

Yep, but like I said, you get her to stop...

> to do both of the kids rooms in one day.

Yeah, it's quick and easy. I did the dining room in one night. Shame I
hate it.

> Gosh.  Odd how two folks can have totally different experiences with
> something....

Perfectly normal, I'd say.

---sambo