[geeks] worst part of the job?

Doctor Obnox Son of a Bitch geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 3 11:41:35 CST 2002

s at avoidant.org, reeling from the shock, managed on Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 12:37:20PM -0500 to scrawl:
> Big Endian wrote:
>
> > I work at $SMALL_COMPANY and they just had me lock all accounts and
> > change all the passwords on various systems that $JUST_FIRED_GUY had
> > access to.  I honestly thing this is one of the worst parts of the
> > job.
> > [...]
> > Anybody else feel this way?
>

> Not at all. It's a normal part of systems administration in any
> environment. I just did it on our systems here not so long ago. If you
> think that's hard, you should be the manager of the guy who was let go
> here; they're roommates.
>
> What would be the point, really, of passwords if they weren't changed
> when someone leaves? Unless you're feeling bad about his getting canned,
> but that's between him and his employers.

When I got laid off from $ISP in Oct., They let me keep my two full
accounts, 1 POP box for the wife, DSL access (still have to pay Qwest,
but always had to anyway), /29 netblock, and access to a couple other
places for 6 months, after that I'll get charged.  I've never heard of
such trust and generosity in this industry. I'll will say good things
about my former employer for a long long time because of this.