[geeks] Does anyone know if OS X can handle standard UNIX tape devices?

Andrew Weiss geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 2 17:34:45 CST 2002

While a friend of mine waits for Retrospect to be supported, he wants to
do backups nightly.  He has a simple SCSI tape drive connected to his
machine.  I was wondering if I could just automate this with tar and cron.
I don't, however, have much time each time I visit him and he is a bit
flighty so I lose my concentration around him at times.  If someone has
done this before on a similar setup let me know, and I'll set him up with
this.  It's not friendly, but it's better than nothing I suppose.  He is
also into file synchronization, a replacement for a phone tracking tool he
used called In Control, and good fax software for OS X... since FaxSTF
sucks really badly (he can't rename his faxes from within the browser),
and 4sight hasn't released their OS X version yet.

Regards,
Andrew

There are, of course, thousands of people who claim to be sys admins who
have the single "skill" of working it out from a gui tool. Ask these people
to move 500 users accounts or 300 virtual hosts from one machine to another
and they are as useful as chocolate firemen. -- Anonymous Coward on Slashdot
8/15/01

UNIX and cigarettes, both addictive and both contain tar.