[geeks] geek trivia quiz

Eric Dittman geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 2 12:42:53 CST 2002

> But I am accustomed to xovers being a particular color. Cisco uses (memory
> fails me, red I think). One place I worked used red cables. Where I work now
> we use black.

My cables at home are color-coded.  The red cable goes to the DSL modem, the
blue to the firewall, the green to the x86 systems, and the gray to the Alpha
and VAX systems.  I was using yellow as the crossover cable color (as that's
the only crossover cable available when I set everything up), but after I
changed from 10/100 hubs to 10/100 switches I didn't need a crossover cable
any more to connect the switches, so I used black cables.  I then starting
using yellow for terminal servers (and my one Infoserver 1000).

The only drawback is I haven't actually labelled the ends of the cables, so
I still have to trace the subsets, and if I get Sparc system I'm out of
colors (unless I buy a white cable).
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net