[geeks] DSL in Portland, Oregon

Geoff Reed geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 1 18:40:31 CST 2002

At 11:26 AM 1/1/02 -0800, you wrote:
>On Mon, 2001-12-31 at 05:18, Ross Alexander wrote:
> > A friend of mine in Portland, Oregon got switched from US West DSL to
> > Qwest to MSN. He's not to happy 'cause amoung other things they're
> > trying to force him to use Outlook for email.
> >
> > Anyone have a recommendation for a good DSL provider in that part of the
> > world?

Um, your friend is screwed.

  if he checks, he will notice that he is no longer the "customer of
record" for his DSL line, MSN is, he can't make ANY changes to his
connection, if he wants to switch providers, he has to get MSN to
disconnect him then get himself reconnected with a local ISP. there are
reports of people having to just completely disconnect their phone service
for a month and have it reconnected just so they can switch ISP's (this was
from a qwest service rep I talked to last night at a party...)