[geeks] DSL in Portland, Oregon

Gregory Leblanc geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 1 13:26:00 CST 2002

On Mon, 2001-12-31 at 05:18, Ross Alexander wrote:
> A friend of mine in Portland, Oregon got switched from US West DSL to
> Qwest to MSN. He's not to happy 'cause amoung other things they're
> trying to force him to use Outlook for email.
>
> Anyone have a recommendation for a good DSL provider in that part of the
> world?

I'm on Portland as well, and I've been using Aracnet for a couple of
years now.  They just got purchased by somebody else, but it's actually
been mostly a good thing.  They now have more than 1 guy doing tech
support (he was cool, though), and have better connectivity.  My account
comes standard with a static IP, and the ability to run servers (though
I don't think I'm supposed to make a profit from them), and about
anything else I want to do.

There are other options around here, such as EasyStreet (great people,
business targeted), and DSLOnly (heard good things about them, but I
have no reason to switch).

Unfortunately, I'm at the very limits of where DSL can reach, so I
barely get the "minimum" 640K downstream from Qwest.  If you're in
Verison land, then you've got a sweet deal.  1.5MB down, 128K up for
something like $70 a month including ISP (Qwest is 640K/256K).
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.