[geeks] Hmmm.. food for thought...

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue Feb 19 15:36:49 CST 2002

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> Apple really needs to get out into the "real world" and try to penetrate
> the business desktop market again.  They need to advertise the
> products.  Like it or not, they might even have to make beige computers
> again [gasp!] if they want to sell hardware to the stodgy corporate
> types.  I haven't seen an Apple commercial in ages - and I certainly
> haven't noticed any Apple ads in the trade rags (Infoworld, Infoweek,
> yadda yadaa).

I'm not meaning to put this down, but I don't think Apple needs to do
anything differently right now.  They don't care about the stodgy business
market.  Their market is creative professionals, education, and the
sciences.  These are two markets they are taking on quite well, and apart
from some nasty hiccups started somewhat by Sculley, and mostly by "the
Diesel" Spindler, they have been back in the black for more than 7
quarters.  They have 4 billion in cash (I believe in the last figures),
and they are growing.  Now I think you've been in stasis for several years
if you don't notice the Apple ads during the Superbowl, in Time magazine
[full color fold-out], in the major newspapers, etc.  Everybody remembers
the Jeff Goldblum ads.  There are the new iPod ads as well.  The Apple
Store has sold millions of iMacs.  Infoworld and Infoweek don't count.
They really aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

<RANT>
Every week the office gets inundated with several worthless
copies of those kinds of magazine.  They certainly kill enough trees, and
all they do is lick Gate's or Ellison's arses.
</RANT>

 > > Apple, though, seems
comfy in it's present position.  OS X on Intel
> might be exactly what the world needs - but I don't think Jobs is going
> to do it.  While he's a risk-taker, he sometimes seems to over-anylize
> things - and then ends up falling down du to a failure to follow through
> (IMO, anyway).

He hasn't failed in a long time.

If I had a penny for every time Apple hiccuped and someone said they were
toast, I'd be rich.

Andrew J. Weiss