[geeks] Hmmm.. food for thought...

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Feb 19 00:11:01 CST 2002

On February 19, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, you wrote:
> > http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20020214.html
> >
> > Interestingly enough, I would like to see it as well.  Don't ask me why,
> > I'm not sure myself.
> >
> Maybe I am waaaay off base here but isn't OS X based on FreeBSD? If that is the
> case then the rest should be trivial right?

  The OS X kernel is based on FreeBSD, the userland programs are
from NetBSD.

  Problem is, there's a lot more to OS X than just a FreeBSD kernel
and NetBSD userland binaries.

  Interesting article.  Some people love PeeCee hardware so much it
scares me.  Current high-end Macs blow the doors off even the fastest
PeeCees, they're built better, and they're not much more expensive
these days.  Why bother?  Why not just buy a decent computer in the
first place?

    -Dave

--
Dave McGuire