[geeks] what I need...

Dave Kimmel criscokid at v-wave.com
Tue Feb 12 23:10:24 CST 2002

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Jeff Borisch wrote:

> A while back at the Rat Shack, I noticed they had a variety of plugs and
> sockets for DC power supplies. Most of the things I have that need wall
> warts are low power and take 3, 5, or 12v.
>
> I was thinking of making a DC breakout box out of an old computer PSU with a
> variety of outputs and dc patch cables. Does anyone see a problem with this
> idea as long as I don't overload the PSU and I make idiot proof patch
> cables?

The old PSU I just looked at can output 23A @ 5V and 9A @ 12V.  The -5V
and -12V outputs are both 0.5A.  Unless you have a LOT of wall warts to
get rid of, I can't see any problems with too much load.

I have heard that computer PSUs don't like a no-load condition too much
though, so you may want to put some resistors on to ensure that it is
always supplying a few milliamps.  Of course, this could be wrong - I'd
expect a modern power supply to be able to handle that condition without
trouble.

-- Dave Kimmel
   criscokid at v-wave.com
   ICQ: 5615049