[geeks] Linux disparity

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Dec 18 09:36:08 CST 2002

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 03:28:33PM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:
> Better peformance over DSL? That's *really* slow. What does 'netstat
> -ien' show on both the Linux boxes ? What kind of switch/hub have you
> got between them ?

I have a lanplex2500 set to factory defaults.  However, the problem
remains if I swap in a generic hub.  The generic hub doesn't show many
collisions.  The Lanplex doesn't report collisions at all (at least not
convieniently on the front of it like the hub does).

I won't be able to check netstat until sometime tonight since I'm now at
work.

> It sounds possible that you've got an autonegotiation failure in there
> somewhere ... in which case one of the interfaces will be in
> half-duplex mode and you'll get a fair number of collisions.

Well, first, it is all 10mbit.  I thought autonegotiation was only for
100mbit.  Am I wrong on this?  How do I check autonegotiation?  Just
check ipconfig on each machine?

--
Joshua D. Boyd