[geeks] Linux disparity

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 18 09:28:33 CST 2002

On Wednesday 18 December 2002 2:59 pm, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> I thought it was the average length of time a process waited in the
> queue.  I guess average number would make more sense.

I did check, but the answer was for Solaris so it could be different for
Linux. I've never

> Well, at the time I aquired the card, I was under the impression that
> 3com ethernet adapters were hot shit, and everything else was the

Well, not everyone seems to think there's a problem with the 3com's.

> Yes, it does feel quite slow.  Sure, doing a lot over the network
> isn't as fast as local disk, but it is far slower than even that.
> I'm just trying to find a metric to measure this and trace it back to
> the cause. Since it is caused by using NFS and/or FTP between my main
> linux machine and linux file server.  I tried decreasing the packet
> size, and that helped make things more stable and faster, but I still
> want to know why I often get better performance over DSL than I am
> between these two machines.

Better peformance over DSL? That's *really* slow. What does 'netstat
-ien' show on both the Linux boxes ? What kind of switch/hub have you
got between them ?

It sounds possible that you've got an autonegotiation failure in there
somewhere ... in which case one of the interfaces will be in
half-duplex mode and you'll get a fair number of collisions.