[geeks] Carley Fiorina

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Dec 1 19:05:48 CST 2002

On Sunday, December 1, 2002, at 07:39 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> This is consistent with my advice, if you can prove/demonstrate that it
> was the unique products that gave the companies value, and their
> cancellation drove shareholder value down.

   Well, "causing the company to fail" usually involves driving
shareholder value down.

> Oh, and I can probably find a picture of her in a suit, and as we all
> know people that wear suits to work suck (right Dave?!)...

   Not at all.  "Suit" is a state of mind and ethics, not attire.  I do
believe, however, that people who wear a suit in order to project a
false image of themselves suck.

   As I understand it, a tie was originally a cheap piece of cloth used
at mealtime to protect an expensive shirt from food dribbles.  With
that in mind, all these little conformists running around in their
ties...trying to look like they're "ready to do business" (as it was
once said to me) look more like they're "ready to eat".

   That said, I own a suit.  I wear it to certain types of events
(parties, etc) in order to show respect for my friends or host(s), if
the occasion is appropriate.  Never, however, in the context of
work...for, as an engineer, my work has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with
the clothes I wear.

          -Dave