[geeks] Carley Fiorina

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 1 18:39:40 CST 2002

--- Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, December 1, 2002, at 04:23 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > I'm supposed to use her as an example in a paper on defining and
> > illustrating leadership, and while I don't like what she's been
> > threatening to do to cool machines, I'm having a hard time backing
> up
> > why it is bad leadership.
>
>    I say it's bad leadership because those cool machines are what set
>
> the company apart (well, the computer-related part of it) from the
> rest
> of the PeeCee clone manufacturers.  Look at every other company which
>
> has tried to dump their quality hardware and get into the PeeCee
> busines...the majority of them have failed.
>
>    So...she's looked at what other suits have done that have caused
> their companies to fail, and she's doing the same thing in her
> company.
>   That, in my opinion, constitutes bad leadership.  What it does to
> the
> products that knowledgeable people like is really immaterial.

This is consistent with my advice, if you can prove/demonstrate that it
was the unique products that gave the companies value, and their
cancellation drove shareholder value down.

Oh, and I can probably find a picture of her in a suit, and as we all
know people that wear suits to work suck (right Dave?!)...

=====
Lionel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com