[geeks] Woah!

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Sun Aug 4 18:34:20 CDT 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:26:07 -0400
Joshua D Boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:

> Squeak has a built in voice synthesiser.  I wonder if there has been
> anywork done on simple speach recognition (ala what was done on the
> Quadra AVs and early PowerMacs, as opposed to full fledged things like
> Via Voice or Dragon Dictate)...  I'm been considering the idea of
> building a voice driven recipe database.   No needing place for a
> monitor or keyboard in the kitchen, only need a mic and speakers.  New
> recipies could be uploaded from other machines on the home network...
> --
> Joshua D. Boyd

That speech recognition came back with OS8, back when I was working in a
school, and had geek kids hanging out in my office for fun they were
always playing with that.  We had one kid that really like to use it for
everything, so we just made all the speakable items point to a shutdown
script :-)

On a Mac it is also really fun to make the hard drive icon an invisible
1 pixel square, named one blank space " " and move all other icons off
teh desktop.  Then you make the desktop picture a picture of a normal
MacOS desktop, and put the trashcan on top of the one in the picture.
It takes some people a while to figure out why no icons respond :-)

Tim