[geeks] Woah!

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Aug 1 11:45:00 CDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 01:40:06PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

> > Previously I'd been thinking of doing (meaning thinking about what it
> > would look like if I ever actually found the time to do so) the setup
> > in Hypercard on a Mac.  Using Squeak is appealing though for several
> > reasons.  One is it can store all the data in a database on a seperate
> > database server, facilitating easier web management of the database.
> > Another reason is I keep looking out for a project that would be
> > perfect for doing in squeak so that I really learn how to work in it
> > better than I have with the occasional fiddling.
>
>   I've not yet played with Squeak.  I should do so.

You might find it fun.  Like the lisp machines of yore, it has a huge
library of cool things available for usage in whatever program you
tackle.  Easy image loading and manipulation, video support (limited
file formats, but simple API), very sophisticated sound capabilities
(though not actually sure what the latency is, and the support from
platform to platform is a sore spot), and a great place to play with
new media things (in theory at least, remeber I haven't really had the
time for it).  Kinda like the mac's media libraries, but with way more
toys, and easier to code for (in theory, again I haven't really done
much).   I'm always amazed at what is available, and I keep wanting to
set up a dedicated Mac for running it (maybe that it what I will do
with the 6500 I have, if I can ever afford more ram for it).  Mac and
Windows are the best supported platforms for multimedia, but it runs
to some extent on pretty much anything.

--
Joshua D. Boyd