[geeks] FSCKING oncall pager rant

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 30 08:57:23 CDT 2002

~ -----Original Message-----
~ From: sambo [mailto:s at avoidant.org]

<snip>
~ >I guess I'm going to bed now. I can probably count all the
~ little nubbies
~ on
~ >my textured ceiling before I fall asleep 1/2 hour before I
~ have to get up.
~
~
~ Coffee is your friend. Do your PHBs understand that you may
~ not be on time
~ when the pager load is heavy?

Actually, PHB is pretty cool. Besides, he has almost no hair! If I were to
mention to him that a jerk called me looking for a phone number he would
immediatly offer to get on the phone and ream him. The only problem is that
starts *badfeelings* and I don't need someone 3000 miles away badmouthing
me. If he does it one more time I'll have him talked to. I'm about to email
the boss and tell him I'll be in be in "before noon". He also doesn't mind
me telecommuting.

To answer your other question, we have a 6-person rotation that might drop
to 5 for awhile (there might be a job opening too).

PHB does understand our frustrations and kicked the monitoring group and
Engineering in the butt to make it so that only really important shit will
page at night. We get far fewer pages at night and I can go for 2-3 days
with uninterupted sleep. It still doesn't make me *want* to do oncall. The
one nice thing is we start a rotation on a Thursday evening and end the
following Thursday. We then get to have that Friday or the following Monday
off as compensation!