[geeks] FSCKING oncall pager rant

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 30 02:02:57 CDT 2002

Its my turn to do the oncall rotation at work this week. I am tired of it.

Its just like stupid intrusion detection systems in that there is lots of
paging and warnings of a bogus or ghostly cause and all the noise can mask a
real issue.

So, I'm up at 2:00am again trying to find out why databases on two coasts
went shithouse and then "autohealed". Its gotten to the point where I watch
the pager and wait for the "clears" (unrelated to scientology!) come in.
This time I didn't see one machine clear when in fact it did (pager
sometimes misses pages, bad coverage).

I hate this.

James Fogg, Network Engineer
Vicinity Corporation - New Hampshire