[geeks] Re: [rescue] Wow

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Apr 29 23:27:46 CDT 2002

> Then the solution is a sealed bid auction.
> anybody who wants to bids, all the bids are kept secret until the auction is
> over.
>
> then you don't have to worry that there might be someone out there who's
> willing to pay more for an item than you are.

See, now you take the self-determinism out of it.  There's still a bunch
of poeple out there, and you have no idea what they bid, and no ability
to influence bids  In an open auction, you play off of each other and
try to get the item by spending the least amount possible.  In a sealed
(actually called a "silent" acution), it's all business - and ain't no
fun.

Being a guy that likes to have fun, that type of auction doesn't appeal
to me at all - and I would never participate (and don't ever).

attempting a move to geeks@
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com