[geeks] Compuholics anonymous

Michael Dombrowski legodude at hammycorp.com
Mon Apr 29 11:52:01 CDT 2002

On 29 Apr 2002 at 11:35, geeks-request at sunhelp.org wrote:

> > > That might be a problem, but most people's impressions on how much
> > > used mainframes cost are completely overblown.
> >
> > $10k?
>
> Nowhere near that much usually.  S/390 G1's can be had for
> $1000-$2000. That's enough power for most people.

Where does one find such a system? Does this include all necessary
software and things like DASD? How big physically are the smallest
G1s? Would older mainframes be smaller/cheaper? What are good
resources for learning more about these systems, are there books like
"S/390 for Dummies" or something? Once I get out of school in June
and start working I'd have no problem getting that kinda cash, it's
just that parents won't allow a huge(>1 rack) machine in the house.

Thanks
Mike