[geeks] Stupid mouse tricks

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Apr 29 00:53:27 CDT 2002

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 10:42:36PM -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-04-28 at 12:42, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > I have a computer w/o PS/2 ports, and I've never managed to find the proper
> > thing to connect to the header on the mobo to get USB working.  But, I'd
> > like a new mouse for it.  The mouse I want is an IBM USB mouse that comes
> > with a USB->PS/2 converter.  Could that be used in conjunction with a
> > PS/2->Serial converter to make the new mouse work on this old machine?
>
> Uhm, maybe.  RS232 Serial != PS/2 (duh), so if the mouse actually speaks
> RS232 when hooked to a serial port then you're all set.  I don't have
> any USB devices, so I've never tried it.

I see.  So, based on the fact that the PS/2 -> serial adapter looked
completely passive, it probably isn't going to work.

I guess I should just buy a new machine, or at least a new mobo/CPU.  I would
have tried the USB card, but I found that despite my machine being well over
the minimum specs, I can't get a playable frame rate from DeltaForce at
any resolution higher than 320x200.  This sucks.  I just wanted a distraction
that is quick and easy for the next two weeks.

--
Joshua D. Boyd