"this economy" (was Re: [geeks] Ultra 2)

Keith Campbell keith.d.campbell at att.net
Mon Apr 29 00:28:16 CDT 2002

> >> yes they do.  have one in the ultra2 at work.  or, the place i used
> >> work.
> >> walked out this morning never to return.  fuck them.
> >
> > Dude, in this economy, sucky job > no job.
>
> Im curious what makes you say this. I keep hearing from people about
how
> "this economy" is a wreck and "the job market" is down... But it seems
> to me (as One Who Is Employed), that everything is pretty ok. I get a
> job offer at least every two weeks, sometimes multiple offers per
week.
> I guess its possible that its just DC that's doing okay, but that
seems
> unlikely since I hear offers from California (having lots of friends
out
> there).

The industry sector I'm in isn't that great at the moment.  I work at a
service bureau designing printed circuit boards for customers (mostly
communications equipment manufacturers like Lucent and Nortel.)  Most of
our customers are still laying off people, so they don't have any work
for us.  It's been bad for 5-6 months now.  I'm almost out of savings,
and am contemplating a short term/part time job flipping burgers just so
I can pay my rent, or selling off all my computer equipment (Gaaaahhhh!
Don't Say That!)