[geeks] E-mail appiances

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Fri Apr 26 16:26:50 CDT 2002

> friend that I really need to pass email to and he is somewhat computer
> illiterate and also unwilling to purchase a new $600~$1000 machine. He
> slogs
> along on older hardware and when it craps or needs configuration he gets

techsmart.com. i just paid $116 for a p2/350, and slapped ram i had in
my "pencil cup" in it for 256mb, 4gb of disk. its not a slow machine at
all.

for $300 you can get a ghz duron machine from emachines.com

and the shack (http://www.shackstore.com/) will sell you a ghz athlon
for $300.

no way, no how are pee see's $600.

and i'll be totally frank with you here. my girlfriend inherited my old
vaio. i installed obsd on it, set it up with blackbox, and she is set.
she uses netscape to surf the web (wireless, natch) and check her email.
she could use pine if she wanted to. she doesnt have root on it, it
never breaks, and she doesnt have permission to break it. i think thats
the way to go. http://www.openbsd.org/

alex